Monday, March 18, 2024

Caroline Reeves

AttachmentsMon, Mar 11, 6:03 AM (7 days ago)

I got bashed for the first time this week! This old man was working in his garden & we went up to talk to him. We told him we were missionarys and that we share messages about Jesus! He was so friendly at first then out of no where he asked if we were Mormons then his face dropped and a flip switched in him. He bashed us for 45 minutes and lectured us about the Bible. My companion was too nice to say anything to him but I kept trying to find ways to get out of it. I eventually just told him we had to go and asked if he had any neighbors who needed an uplifting message. He said "I'm not going to tell you because I don't want to send them in the wrong direction." I bet this won't be the first time I get bashed on my mission...

Every week we go and crochet with this sweet inactive member named Sandy! I just ADORE her. She hasn't been to church in years but absolutely loves having the missionaries over. She's teaching me how to crochet and it's actually so fun haha. I felt prompted to invite her to church this Sunday for my companions musical number & she said no so fast. She's had the missionaries over for years but doesn't come to church anymore.

We had zone conference on Thursday! Zone conference is always so good but it is way too longggggg. We got to the church at 7:30 AM & left at 5:30PM. Its a long time to be sitting in a chapel. I always get teary though when we all stand up as missionaries to sing together. It's super powerful! We are all so different from eachother & come from different backgrounds but we all have the same purpose. 

Our friend Tarlisha (who we've been teaching but haven't had the best contact with her) was stabbed!! We found out that she was stabbed in a fight but that she's ok. She asked us to come over & pray with her but we weren't able to because she lives an hour away. 

On Sunday Snoop Dog Steve came to church! I invited him two weeks ago and he told me he'd come. We didn't have high hopes at all for him to come but he ended up coming!! He's met with missionaries since 2021 and no one has been able to get him to come to church. I was so nervous when he walked in but it was also the most excited I've ever been. He sat with us and EVERYONE was staring at him haha he sticks out a ton. All the members came up to him and shook his hand & were so kind. I was so nervous about how the members would act towards him but they were so loving it was so relieving. Steve told us that he loved how welcoming everyone was & that he would love to come again. I was so happy !! Steve also asked if we could take a picture with him after haha. I think he felt a little awkward because he didnt dress right but we told him it didnt matter. The ward was so amazing I just love all of them so much. We go out all week and it sucks- we get rejected all day long & no one wants to listen to us. Sundays are so refreshing because the members all have such a sweet spirit about them & it feels like a home away from home. 

I'm almost finished with the Book of Mormon & I think Alma 7:11-12 is by far one of my favorite scriptures.

 He shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people. 
And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

"The Savior has suffered not just for our iniquities but also for the inequality, the unfairness, the pain, the anguish, and the emotional distresses that so frequently beset us. There is no physical pain, no anguish of soul, no suffering of spirit, no infirmity or weakness that you or I ever experience during our mortal journey that the Savior did not experience first. You and I in a moment of weakness may cry out, “No one understands. No one knows.” No human being, perhaps, knows. But the Son of God perfectly knows and understands, for He felt and bore our burdens before we ever did. And because He paid the ultimate price and bore that burden, He has perfect empathy and can extend to us His arm of mercy in so many phases of our life. He can reach out, touch, succor—literally run to us—and strengthen us to be more than we could ever be and help us to do that which we could never do through relying upon only our own power." 
-David A Bednar 🩷🩷

No comments: